Background

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Bib and Two Pacifier Clips

So instead of cutting the pieces for the napkins, I decided to try doing another pacifier clip. This time I used some material with cats on it. I cut out a piece 4" by 11" and folded under the short sides (last time I used pinking shears on those sides but I wasn't completely happy with the look). Then I folded it in half length-wise, unfolded and folded the two edged into the middle and then folded again, to get a 1" long strip (pressing each fold). I then sewed down the open long side, around the top, around the other side, and enclosed the little strap to put on the pacifier in the last short side. Although I had folded and pressed carefully, it did get a bit out of line while sewing. And when I added the suspender clip part to the other end, it seemed to also not be quite as neat as I was hoping (although better than the first one). But it was an improvement in some ways from my first attempt.



With some of the small scrap material, I decided to applique another bib. Since it was cat material, I decided to do a cat's head. I got the webbing on just fine this time, cutting out the shape after attaching it to the material. Got it positioned on the bib and started to sew around it. I think I did a pretty good job around the curve (my first curved edge!), but the cat ears gave me a lot of trouble. For the first ear, I overshot going one way and when I went back down the other side, it was very clear at the top that it just didn't look right. For the second point, I tried doing more maneuvering to get the needle in just the right position. I think I did better at the point itself, but I did have two stitches that were off line by quite a bit so those really stand out. Alas. But it's functional and doesn't look too terrible, so that is good. One more bib to go. I'm not sure yet what I will put on it.



Finally I decided that I wanted to try a pacifier clip once more. This time I actually sewed down the hem on the short sides before folding into the strap shape. I think that helped to stabilize the material a lot more (and perhaps I can use a longer length stitch in the future, almost just basting them to keep it steady). Although it still has a few kinks, it's one that I'm much happier with so I think that except for a few little tweaks here and there, I have the main process of making those pacifier clips down. I have other kinds of cat material, some dog material, and other outer space related material that I plan to use to make more clips, so I have plenty to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment