Background

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pacifier Clips Galore and More

I'm going to be selling some of my items (both sewn and knit) in a shop downtown--a really neat place called the Natural Parenting Education Network--so I've been working on creating more inventory. So one thing I've been doing is making a whole bunch of pacifier clips. I've been trying to get a variety of fabric so that there are a lot to choose from. I also made a few sets of the clips with a matching carrying bag. I have the rice bags and plan to make a few more (the lavender, by the way, makes it smell so wonderful!) as well as some small "boo boo sacks" for kids. And I've been knitting baby hats and have some other knitted items to take there. I'm excited to be part of the boutique and to also help out NPEN so it can continue to offer the wonderful programming and events it has been doing.

But I have to admit that I'm a little burned out on making pacifier clips! I have six more all ready to go but for the sewing up, so I think I'll finish those and then take a break from making them for a little while. After doing the extra rice bags and boo boo sacks, I'm going to work on another project--for me. Or rather, for my son.

I'm going to try my hand at making a quilt. I have no idea how successful I'll be, but I'm going to try. It's going to be simple. I bought some charm packs, so I'll just be sewing the squares together and then for the quilting I'll do simple diagonal lines. But I picked some fabric that I'm really excited about and I'm sure that I'll learn a lot from this simple (although for me perhaps not so simple since it will be my first time) project.

I looked through the various charm packs available at Fat Quarter Shop and really liked Ten Little Things, so that is the one I decided to go with (and I will definitely order from FQS again as it was shipped promptly and was easy to order). I bought three packs so that I would have plenty of each square to choose from. And any leftovers will be used to do some applique on onesies and bibs. I need to figure out how big I want to make it so that I'll know how many squares to sew for each row and then how many rows to make. But first I need to do some reading up on how to do something like this. I think the biggest question I have right now is about which way to press the seams, so that's what I'm going to focus on right now. Then I'm just going to dive right in.

I don't yet have the fabric for the back or border. I want to get the top pieced first and then make a decision for what I want to do for that.


I had to come back and edit this post after what I saw on Geek Crafts today: A Call to Arms


No comments:

Post a Comment