Background

Monday, January 16, 2012

Mug Rug Success

So I tried making another mug rug today. This time I didn't need to look at the instructions for any of it, which made me rather happy for remembering what to do. And this time I really tried to focus on being straight with the cutting and sewing.

The first thing that I did was take all of the squares and make the edges straight instead of keeping the edges from the pinking shears as the fabric came. I think that was a major element in helping me keep the seams straight. It took some time, but in the end I think that it was well worth it.

I also made sure, when I was sewing the 5 half blocks section to the 2 full block section that I kept the seams pressed open. Last time I had that section on the bottom (the one with the 5 blocks), so I didn't pay attention to how it was going through the machine and the seams got all wonky on the back. I don't know if that really made a huge difference, but it made me feel better.

After I did the quilting this time around, I cut down the edges using the quilted lines as my guide for straightness (the thing I didn't do last time and should have). So much better!

The bias tape has a few spots which could be a bit better, but overall, I'm happy with how it turned out. This one is destined as a gift for someone so I'm glad to see how nice it looks.



The green one was the first one


No comments:

Post a Comment