Background

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Coloring Bag and Fabric Envelope

My sewing machine has stayed plugged into the wall for the past two weeks, so that I can sit down to it quickly whenever I have a free couple of minutes. Yet even so, I haven't had a ton of time to sew lately. But I have definitely been dreaming up lots of new projects. One of the moms in my moms' group showed me this thing called a quillow, which is a quilt that folds up and is tucked into a little pocket to make a pillow. How genius is that? I decided that I just had to make one (or two) so I went to Joann's to pick out fabric. So happy to see that the licensed fabrics were 50% off! So I got enough fabric to make a Star Wars quillow and a Muppets quillow. Now I just need to actually start them.

What I did do this week was make another mug rug, which apparently I completely forgot to take a picture of. What I'm enjoying about the mug rugs is that I get to try out different fabric placement choices and decisions such as which color thread to use and which color binding. For the one I made that didn't make it in front of the camera, I could have gone with a soft green or a bright teal. I actually have enough of the fabric to do both. So I did the soft green first. When I do the bright teal, I know that although the fabric may be the same, the different fabric placement and accent colors will definitely make them look like very different pieces. So I'm having fun making these. I've taken the three I've made recently to The Craft House, so I hope other people like them.

Using a tutorial, I decided to try making a mini crayon tote. I picked some monster fabrics in my children's stash. For the inside, I picked some bright colorful stripes (The tutorial says cotton twill was used for the lining. I did notice that the bag was a little flimsy so I think I might try using some of the canvas that I have leftover from another project next time.). This was a fun project and one I definitely would like to try again.




Using another tutorial, I also made a fabric envelope. This is a great project for using some fat quarters and I think I'll make more of these. The only thing I think I'll change is to add some velcro for the closure so that it will have a way to fasten. 



Today I went up to The Craft House to drop off some new inventory and I took a few pictures.

The booth as a whole. I picked this space because of this wooden structure. I liked the shelves as well as the dowel rods so I could hang stuff on them.

Much of this area contains my knitted items, but on the second shelf I have the burp cloths in a basket and the mug rugs laying down on the center of the shelf. You can see the crayon tote hanging on one of the rods.

This is where the rice therapy bags and boo boo bags are located. So far, these have been the best sellers out of my booth, so I'll definitely continue making these and plan to add some to my etsy shop soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment